Friday 20 April 2018

Short Trousers For Her Younger Brother. Thank you to Wendy from whom I received this letter.



I grew up in South Africa in the 1970's and 1980's, where schoolboys in short trousers were a common sight. Most boys wore shorts until they were sixteen or older - usually the standard grey flannel short trousers in the winter months and khaki shorts in the summer, always with the standard schoolboy knee socks with the turnover top. Some schools made shorts compulsory for even the seniors so boys would wear them until they were eighteen, nineteen or older if they had to repeat years.

My brother, who was two years older than me, was a typical example. Short trousers were compulsory for all boys at his school where he remained until he was eighteen. He cried when my parents then told him he was to remain wearing shorts until his twenty-first birthday. They were firm believers in keeping boys in short trousers for as long as possible as a means of control and to stop them getting big ideas. Up to the age of twenty-one, he wore shorts at all times and was never once allowed long trousers. His first pair of longs was a present for his twenty-first birthday and he wore them that day with great pride.

My parents felt that boys were immature and grew up far more slowly than girls and as a result should be treated and dressed like children for longer. I was allowed stockings and tights at fifteen and to wear makeup at sixteen and was regarded by my parents and others as a sensible young lady. My brother was still being put to bed at 8 pm when he was eighteen while 

From my fifteenth birthday, I was his designated babysitter, having been given authority over my brother and I was always left in charge when our parents went out. He had to do as I told him or else it was not uncommon for him to go across my knees for a spanking and be put straight to bed, sometimes well before 8 pm. People who did not know us automatically assumed that I was the eldest and because he was treated him like a little boy.

During his twenties he was occasionally punished by my parents by being made to wear short trousers, together with his old school uniform of blazer and cap, for a whole weekend. It was not surprising that he did not venture far from the family home while dressed like this but he was seen by a few visitors and subject to ridicule.

I think my parents were totally correct to keep my brother in short trousers to twenty-one and beyond. He was well behaved, obedient, demure and polite. He also looked extremely sweet in his shorts and my girlfriends would teasingly tell him what a smart little boy he was which always made him blush with embarrassment.

I do not have children yet but if I have boys, I hope I will keep them in short trousers until their mid or late teens or even older. I agree with my parents that boys are far less mature than girls and should be kept as children for much longer. Keeping them dressed in short trousers is an excellent way of reminding them of this fact. 

Wendy

12 comments:

  1. Interesting. If he had to wear short trousers at all times until 21, does that mean he was going to university in a school boy uniform ??
    Was was his bedtime at 21 ? Spanked until what age ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of pyjamas did he have to wear for his early bedtimes

    ReplyDelete
  3. In answer to the questions, I would clarify that my brother finished his diploma by home study and did not regularly attend a University.I am not certain what you mean by what kind of pyjamas but he wore and still does wear flannel striped button up pyjamas as the nights are often cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In answer to the questions, I would clarify that my brother finished his diploma by home study and did not regularly attend a University.I am not certain what you mean by what kind of pyjamas but he wore and still does wear flannel striped button up pyjamas as the nights are often cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening Wendy I hope you do not mind me replying to your post.

      You remind me of my own sister who had my Parents permission to babysit me and had every right to put me across her knee when required.

      I too was kept in school short trousers until I left home at 21 I had to wear school short trousers to school until I was 14 when the school had a word with my mother,but every time I came home from school I was told to go and get my short trousers on,then I would be sat at the table doing my homework

      My bedtime was 630pm my sister bedtime was a lot later then mine and when I complained that my sister was 2 years younger then me and it is not fair I have to go to bed earlier then her,my Mother simply said your sister is a lot more mature then you and when she is older she will become your baby sitter so your bedtime stands 630pm and for your cheek and complaing you will be going to bed with a smacked bottom and that never changed until I left home and that also included having my bottom smacked from my sister and or mother,and even earlier bedtime if I had misbehaved

      You are right so are other females girls grow up a lot quicker then girls as us boys/men are so immature and act childishly when ever we can not get our own way even we when we reach maturity and have girlfriends wife's etc and we get told we need to go shopping when there is a football game on we have a little tantrum

      My wife after a discussion with my Mother who told her how I was brought up my wife took that on board,and one afternoon we where having a argument my wife said Right that enough you are going to bed so get upstairs get your pyjamas on and get to bed and that means the spare bedroom your Mother was right you are a immature child and from now on I will treat you as one

      Well I have rambled on enough and probably bored you so on that note I will say goodnight

      Delete
    2. Hello Mr. Jones. Did your wife spank you also or call your mother to come over and do it?

      Delete
  5. Was was his bedtime at 21 ? Spanked until what age ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good evening Anonymous
      Yes my ex wife did use to.put me over her knee
      And dress me ready for bed either in little boy type childish pajamas or a little girl type night dress.
      My bedtimes was at 7pm and ready for bed at 6pm even earlier if I had misbehaved
      Or she had friends coming over or if she was going out my mother in law would babysit me which was humiliating and embarrassing as at times my wife would not have time before she went out to get me ready for bed so my mother in law would bath me and dress me in my pajamas or night dress

      Delete
    2. Being bathed by your mother in law and maybe spanked as well must have been very embarrassing.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete