Thursday 26 April 2018

More on short trousers and early bedtimes. Phillip Jones sent this as a reply to Wendy and I thought the content very worthwhile posting.

Good evening Wendy I hope you do not mind me replying to your post.

You remind me of my own sister who had my parents permission to babysit me and had permission to put me across her knee when required.

I too was kept in short trousers until I left home at 21. I had to wear shorts to school until I was 14 but every time I came home from was told to go and put my short trousers on to do my homework.

My bedtime was 6.30 pm but my sister, who is younger than me by two years, was allowed to stay up much later. When I complained to my mum that it was not fair, she told me my sister was a lot more mature then me and that I should consider her to be my babysitter.

From then on, my sister was the one left in charge when my mum went out and my sister always insisted on putting me into my pyjamas as soon as she left, even it it was only 4 pm!

Soon after I was married, my wife had a discussion with my mother who told her how I had been dealt with by her and my sister. My wife was entirely in favour of this style of discipline and one afternoon, when we where having an argument, my wife ordered me to go straight to bed. She led me upstairs to get my pyjamas on and get into bed.

That meant the spare bedroom and as she tucked me in she told me that my mother was right and that I was an immature child and from now on she would be treating me as one.

My wife did used to put me over her knee
and get me ready for bed dressing me either in little boy type childish pyjamas or a little girl type night dress.

My bedtime was 7 pm and I had to be in pyjamas ready for bed at 6 pm or even earlier if I had misbehaved. 


If she had friends coming over or if she was going out, my mother-in-law would babysit me which was humiliating and embarrassing as sometimes my wife would not have time to get me ready for bed so my mother-in-law would bath me and dress me in my little boy pyjamas or nightdress.

I wonder if my experiences are similar to you and your brothers situation?

Phillip





14 comments:

  1. Though I did not have a sister babysitting me, my mother believed that boys did not really grow up until their twenties. So was of the firm opinion that they should be dressed correctly. This meant wearing brief short trousers nearly all the time until I was in my early twenties. This included grey flannel school shorts various play shorts including very brief short-all's.

    I was also subject to childish smack bottoms, early bedtimes and in private mild petticoat discipline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have had a very disturbed childhood.

      Delete
  2. Dear Miniboy. I understand and I am still subject to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it was not all bad. In fact sometimes I liked wearing shorts. My smack bottoms were childish and embarrassing, but not excessive and often deserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My shorts are really short for a boy and they being attention to me. Even more when I have ruler marks on the backs of my legs

      Delete
  4. One of the perils for a boy with bare legs is that it is easy to slap a boys legs at any point. Naturally to a mother it is one of the benefits. It gets even more effective as the boy gets older as the embarrassment factor also increases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother carries a plastic ruler in her purse. One time she decided to use it on my legs in a park sitting across from a younger woman with a small baby. The woman just smiled as I hopped and yelped.

      Delete
  5. For me at 17 I was six foot, but very skinny as a lot of lads are at that age. However having vast amounts of bare thigh visible was embarrassing to say the least. I didn't mind my fractionally longer shorts but the ultra short hot pants I wore left all my thighs bare plus the lower part of my buttocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our mother must have been talking because some of mine are like hot pants. Someone joked with her that I must be applying for a job at Hooters.

      Delete
  6. Yes I was always told that my shorts were healthy for me, allowing plenty of fresh air around my legs, also that I was still a young boy in my mother's eyes and should be dressed like one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is right and like me, taken to task for the slightest reason. Not caring who knows that a plastic ruler is making me dance and plead.

      Delete
  7. I do remember when I was 14, my aunt made me a pair of shortalls. These were unbelievably babyish and sissified. So much so that I rebelled. I received several good smack bottoms before I "agreed to wear them. They were made of some sort of light blue velvet, with a high cut on the legs that formed a kind of V the bottom of these ridiculously short legs had lace around them. The bib had a teddy bear sewn on. I had to wear these shortalls with lace ankle socks and Mary Jane sandals also worn with a frilly puff sleeved blouse.

    Fortunately only wore them when my aunt came to visit as even my mother agreed that they were a bit excessive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. You must have looked a bit silly dressed like that at fourteen. Lucky no-one else saw you in that outfit.

      Delete