Saturday 28 April 2012

The original letter Published in Pyjama Punishment Monthly



AGONY AUNT


Does anyone have a solution to Gertrude's dilemma?
A dose of Castor oil will be administered to the supplier of the best answer!

My fifteen-year-old son has always had an earlier bedtime than his sisters despite the fact they are both younger than him. Even though they are just aged fourteen and twelve they are far more capable than he. My son’s bedtime is 6:00pm with preparation beginning at
4:00pm. I expect him to be in his nightclothes by 4:30pm. These consist of dainty; cotton baby-doll pyjama sets in the warmer months and traditional, cosy girl’s floral winceyette pyjamas during the winter. These tend to be of the kind toddlers of three or four might wear, as I do not consider him old enough for “grown up pyjamas”.



At weekends his routine varies. On Saturday his sisters invariably stay with friends and since I am soft hearted I put him into his pyjamas at 2:00pm but allow him to stay up until 6.30pm when he is just in time to say night-night to Nana and Auntie Beatrice, my mother and sister who regularly visit at that time. On Sunday, since it is school the next day he is bathed and ready for bed by 1:00pm and safely tucked up no more than a half an hour later. At weekdays, since I usually have not returned from work by 5:15pm, it befalls his sisters to ensure he adheres to the rules. They will oversee his supper; the girls eat with me once he is tucked up in bed, make sure he washes his dirty dishes, select his pyjamas, help him undress and assist with the donning of his pyjamas before supervising face washing and teeth cleaning. I am always home in time to take him to bed as I think that is very important for a boy of his age to have Mummy there to tuck him in and kiss him night-night. Now he is about to turn sixteen he requested that his bedtime should be moved to seven pm. Upon consideration I agreed to a trial period to begin immediately. Unfortunately that is where my trouble
began.





My son was under the impression that a later bedtime also meant pyjamas not being donned until 5:15pm. This was not the agreement. When I arrived home I found my daughters had spanked him and gave him corner time when he refused to get ready for bed at his usual time. Something they have my permission to do. They had also dressed him in his special, “naughty boy pyjamas,” the pink floral winceyette ones with the Peter
Pan collar. Amidst all the tears and recriminations the best I could do was pack him off to bed there and then. I now find that my daughters are unhappy about spoiling our evenings together, they feel the best place for my son is to be tucked up in bed at his usual time and to continue letting them get him ready for bed, choosing jim-jams etc. I have, for the moment reverted back to the previous arrangement, something my son is not happy with but do not wish to undermine my daughters authority over their brother.
Your advice on the matter would be most appreciated.

Gertrude Kirchgarten.

No comments:

Post a Comment