Sunday 18 September 2016

Nanny Smackbottom solves an early bedtime conundrum.

Dear Nanny Smackbottom

Let me say how much I enjoy reading Pyjama Punishment Monthly, I cannot wait for each new edition. I especially enjoy your column and would like to ask for your advice.

In previous editions there has been correspondence regarding bedtimes and bedtime rituals for male members of the household that you expressed your opinion upon.

My sixteen-year-old son has always had an earlier bedtime than his sisters, despite the fact they are both younger than him.

Aged fourteen and twelve, they are far more capable than he. Surely it is accepted by now that boy’s need longer to achieve the same level of maturity as girls?

My son’s bedtime is 6.30 pm, with preparations beginning at 5.45. I expect him to be in his nightclothes by 6pm. These are traditional, cosy winceyette pyjamas, the kind toddlers of three or four might wear, as I do not consider him old enough for 'big boy’ pyjamas”.

As I usually have not returned from work by this time, it befalls his sisters to ensure he adheres to the rules. They will oversee his supper. The girls eat with me once he is tucked up in bed, and make sure he washes his dirty dishes properly.

They then select his pyjamas and help him undress before supervising face washing and teeth cleaning and then assist with the donning of his pyjamas

I am always home in time to take him up to bed as I think that is very important for a boy of his age to have mummy there to tuck him in and kiss him night-night.

Now that he is about to turn seventeen, he requested that I revise his bedtime to seven pm. Upon consideration, I reluctantly agreed to a trial period to begin immediately. Unfortunately that is when my trouble began.

My son was under the impression that a later bedtime also meant a later pyjama time. This was not the agreement. When I arrived home I found my daughters had spanked him and given him corner punishment when he refused to get ready for bed at his usual time, my daughter of course had my permission to use spankings when necessary.  

They had also dressed him in his special ‘naughty boy pyjamas’, pink Teddy Bear winceyette ones with a sweet Peter Pan collar. Amidst all the tears and recriminations the best I could do was pack him off to bed there and then.

My daughters are unhappy about spoiling our girly evenings together, they feel the best place for my son is to be tucked up in bed at his usual time and to continue letting them get him ready for bed, choosing his jim-jams etc.

I have, for the moment reverted back to the previous arrangement, something my son is not happy with, but I do not wish to undermine my daughters authority over their brother.

Your advice on the matter would be most appreciated.

Harriet Harbottle

Dear  Harriet

Thank you for writing to me here at PPM. 
It is always a mistake to give concessions to boys to whom you have introduced to pyjama and early bedtime punishment. I therefore have no hesitation in agreeing with your very sensible daughters on this issue. A later bedtime for your son will only encourage him to make further such requests. You should immediately impose your authority by imposing a new, earlier 6pm bedtime and give carte blanche to your daughters to discipline him as they see fit if he does not comply. For a twelve year old to have the ability to spank her seventeen year old brother is quite a challenge for her but as she has an older sister to help her, between them they will find he acquiesces quite readily. I think pink Teddy Bear pyjamas are an excellent choice of naughty boy pyjamas but they should only be used when he has been especially naughty. Please write again updating us with his progress.

Nanny Smackbottom

3 comments:

  1. I would get the girls involved in a bath for him as well as dressing him in his jimjams and use a baby monitor. This will take the wind out of his sails and I would not move his jimjam time forward, in fact I would set it back one hour and move his bedtime to 5pm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree five pm is the best time for bed having his sisters spank him is also a good idea Needs a nightly bedtime spanking

    ReplyDelete
  3. He should get spankings from both his sisters since he is disobedient towards both of them... And bath time from both sisters is a great idea, less for mummy to worry about...

    ReplyDelete