Tuesday 6 October 2015

A PPM letter from Paul to Matron about the benefits of adult short trousers. I am not sure Matron has interpreted the women's reaction in the image correctly though!

Dear Matron

 In response to Geoffrey's letter about his mother’s decision and how he bemoans the fact that he will be made to wear short trousers and have early bedtimes until he is eighteen.

 I was in a similar situation in that I wore short grey trousers as part of my Prep School uniform until I left aged 14. I was a year older than the other boys in my class as I started at the school a year behind as I had been living abroad.

 My parents wanted me to wear short trousers but longs were part of the upper school uniform and I would have been the only pupil wearing shorts, so consequently a compromise was agreed. I would wear longs for school but shorts at all other times during the rest of my teens For example, I wore my school uniform with short grey trousers and schoolboy turnover top knee socks to church on Sundays and also to Sunday School and Saturday afternoon Bible classes.

 I was finally permitted to wear longs outside of school when I left two months before my twentieth birthday.
Because I am small of stature and not at all hirsute, I could easily be taken for a 13 or 14 year old when in my short trousers and rarely received any adverse comments, although if people discovered my real age they were often astonished that I was still kept in shorts by my parents. Some approved but others felt I was too old to be dressed like this.

 Initially I hated having to wear short trousers and felt deeply humiliated and ashamed, but gradually by the age of 16 or 17, I developed a liking for short trousers which I found to be more comfortable, less restricting and smarter than longs. This enthusiasm for short trousers and school uniform continues to this day and I regularly wear shorts around the home and often in public depending on the circumstances. Even as an adult I have received the occasional compliment on how smart I look wearing traditional clothing.

 Throughout my school days my parents also insisted that I was subject to a strict 9 pm bedtime and this is another part of my upbringing that I have maintained in my adult life. I find wearing my short trousers by day and going to bed early each evening benefits my lifestyle greatly and in no way has my parents early bedtime and short trouser discipline been detrimental to me.

 I suggest Geoffrey changes his attitude and looks upon this as a great opportunity to be an individual and to stand out from the crowd. I accept that his 7 pm bedtime may be a trifle early for a 16 year old but I am sure if he knuckles down and behaves himself his mother will see fit to extend it.

 For now, I say embrace your short trousers and enjoy the freedom they give.

 Best wishes

 Paul

 Dear Paul

 It is so refreshing to receive a letter from a boy like yourself who has adopted a positive approach to wearing short trousers. I urge Geoffrey to take note of you comments and accept that his mother is making these decisions for his own good. I have been told many times that there is nothing better than for a boy to feel the wind and the rain against his bare legs and that even in the most chilling, biting wind it is a most invigorating sensation. However I cannot agree with you that his proposed 7 pm bedtime is too early. For an immature 16 year old it seems to me to be eminently sensible, however I will agree to differ with you since you have written such a supportive letter in general.

 Regards

 Matron

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for plundering the archives of PPM again, Wincy.
    A very informative letter from Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the look of the shorts on the chap, though he could do with going to the gym to loose a few pounds. Maybe the girl in his life could take charge and discipline him until he looses weight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that Paul came to enjoy wearing his short trousers when he was 16 or 17. I wonder if some other boys like him who were kept in shorts to a late age also came to accept and find pleasure in wearing them. I suppose it depends on how they look. Paul could pass for much younger so maybe he liked being taken for a much younger boy.

    I started to wear short trousers voluntarily when I was 17 and was brave enough to buy grey shorts and school uniform from a schoolwear shop. I was very nervous. I kept the clothes hidden at home and wore them when my parents were away at weekends and occasionally cycled into the countryside and dressed in my grey shorts and uniform in a secluded spot and went for a walk. I was never sussed but I was extremely careful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must confess that my mother kept me in very brief shorts to a very late age. In fact right to my early twenties. These were very brief school grey shorts. She also made me wear bib shorts with cross braces. I often had to wear white pelerine socks and Mary Jane sandals with them.

    I always went to bed very early sometimes in pyjamas or if naughty in nappies after a good smack bottom.

    In private as an alternative to my shorts my mother sometimes made me wear a small pleated skirt for health purposes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did she ever reveal what those health benefits were Miniboy Skirt? I was often told the same when being put into short trousers by my aunt.

      Delete
  5. Hi Wincy

    It was alleged to toughen my legs up, and to make me realise that I was not grown up before my time. Not sure I understood the logic of this. I did once overhear my mother saying that I had very cute bare thighs so I should be kept in very brief shorts for as long as possible. The skirt was an enhancement of these "benefits"

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s Wincy

    I do enjoy your blog, even if some of the situations are very close to real life for me. In particular the very junior clothing, early bedtimes smack bottoms etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you also for leaving regular comments,it is much appreciated.I was told the fresh air was good for my legs, never seen any medical evidence to back that up though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Wincy

    The only thing I notice is that I like wearing normal shorts these days. That includes in the winter. So maybe my mothers ideas about toughening me up had some validity.

    ReplyDelete