Monday 6 April 2015

A Pyjama Punishment Monthly letter concerning a problem that has been raised quite often. The images demonstrating the various pyjamaring options were sourced by myself..feel free to voice your own opinion on this subject.



Dear Nanny Smackbottom

Perhaps you could advise on a point of etiquette concerning the correct way for our husbands pyjamas to be worn?

I was about to get my husband ready for bed as normal at seven o'clock for a seven thirty bedtime, when my good friend  and neighbour Mrs Bartholomew paid a visit after settling her own husband down for the night.
We chatted as Henry folded his clothes into a neat pile and I beckoned him toward me so I could get him pyjamaed ready for bed. I buttoned up his pyjama jacket then pulled up his pyjama bottoms, fastening the pyjama cord with the hem of the pyjama jacket tucked inside his pyjama bottoms as I always have done so. Mrs Bartholomew insists I am too generous with my husbands bedtime and she now ventured that she preferred to let her husbands pyjama jacket hang free outside the pyjama bottoms. We had such a discussion on the merits of both options without reaching a conclusion that I decided to write to your good self about the matter. Is there a definitive way ones husband's should wear their pyjamas?
Elizabeth Hardcastle

Elizabeth, I have been asked this question many times over the years and my answer remains the same. The rule is, always have the pyjama jacket tucked inside the pyjama bottoms when the bottoms have a cord fastening. When the pyjama bottoms have an elasticised waist then the choice is optional.
Personally, I would always use the tucked in approach, but I know modern females do prefer to adopt the "hanging out", look that I find untidy but that is just me being old fashioned. The main thing is of course, that you maintain pyjama punishment and I am pleased that your husband has a pyjama and bedtime that you enforce. Well done.
Nanny Smackbottom





13 comments:

  1. I would prefer the top hangs free outside over bottoms

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always dress my husband in his striped pyjamas with the oversized jacket on the
    outside and hanging down to his knees. I think it heightens the naughty little boy
    effect all girlfriends agree? Eunice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eunice, how does your husband manage his chores? I imagine the sleeves of his pyjama jacket must be very long and the bottoms tripping him up? Also just keeping the bottoms up must be a challenge?

      Delete
    2. Wincy, I only put my husband into his striped pyjamas at bedtime.
      When doing his chores he has several very pretty floral wincyette
      ones that are ideal for his domestic duties. One of which is to take
      rubbish out to the wheely bins! I'm afraid the llittle darling does
      have to endure some rather caustic comments and wolf whistles!
      Eunice.

      Delete
  3. Such a vexed question and one to which I fear there is no definitive answer. However on the basis of your illustrations I should say the first picture shows how untidy the 'untucked' look can be. I note the top button of the pyjama jacket has been left undone, surely this is the thin end of the wedge?

    In the following two pictures the pyjamaring is very neat and altogether much smarter.

    By the way, I do hope Mrs Bartholomew's husband wasn't left on his own without a babysitter!

    mogg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far the opinion is fairly divided, the tucked or untucked debate dominates the hustings. I wonder if Mrs Milliband and Mrs Cameron would care to post here and discuss their own pyjamaring preferences for their husbands? I believe Mrs Bartholomew's sister, a retired school matron, lived in and used to help out with bedtime affairs. Of course these letters are several years old now and circumstances change.

      Delete
  4. I personally think that any style is suitable Eunice - I insist that my husband wears pyjamas at all times and I too prefer him to wear traditional striped pyjamas. He does complain however during our rare 'intimate moments' and fusses about his baggy trouser 'getting in the way' and his jacket being 'too hot'. I sometimes think that I am being a little harsh and old-fashioned in refusing to let him take off his pyjamas. I would dearly love some advice on how to resolve this issue - are there any ladies out there who could offer advice?

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all his bedtime is way to late. Pyjama time should be 4:30 and bedtime 5. Secondly top should always be tucked into his bottoms with top button always done up. Finally I presume a daily spanking is given at bedtime..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well John you will have to argue bedtimes and pyjama times with Elizabeth.
      I wonder if she does still practises pyjama and early bedtime discipline on her husband? Let's hope we find out.

      Delete
  6. Dear Eunice
    I think your approach is wonderful. I heartily recommend the use of floral winceyette pyjamas as an effective disciplinary measure. They are absolutely ideal for males to wear as they do their daily chores. No chance of them escaping out the back door whilst they are attired in a pair of pink frilly wincey jim-jams is there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Mrs Jacobson, its a heart warming sight to see ones husband
      doing his housework dressed appropriately. You are so right theres no
      way the little scamp will try to slip out to the local hostelry attired in his
      eye catching "rosebud" winceyette nightwear and marigolds. Eunice.

      Delete