Sunday 30 October 2016

A PPM letter on the importance of younger sisters when implementing pyjama and early bedtime discipline.on their older brothers.

Dear Matron

It has always been part of my disciplinary philosophy to treat adolescent boys (and young adult males) as if they were much younger than their actual age. Girls, in general, mature much quicker and as such it is correct that the male should go to bed sooner and in some cases their bedtime should be supervised by their younger female siblings. A seventeen year old boy under my supervision would find himself dressed in the uniform of a first year pupil, short trousers, knee socks, and a school cap would form the basis of his outfit. This would be worn from first thing in the morning until his daily tuition ended at 3.30 pm. The boy would have a bedtime between 6 and 7 pm with a pyjama time of 4 or 5 pm. I always advocate dressing boys in their pyjamas at least two hours before their bedtime. If a younger sister or sisters are around to witness or assist in this daily ritual, so much the better. It is a fact that boys always become calmer and more compliant once they have been put into their pyjamas. This reinforces the boy's immature status in the sibling hierarchy. That is why I prefer to put boys into childish, little boy nightwear. When they have to walk around in front of their younger sisters for two hours before  being put to bed wearing babyish pyjamas they quickly lose their aggressive attitudes and respond to discipline much better. If especially sewn little boy pyjamas are beyond your means then a few pairs of female pyjamas from any high street chain store are an acceptable alternative. A seventeen year old boy wearing a pair of Winnie the Pooh patterned pyjamas, kissing his younger sisters night-night at 6 pm is very rewarding in terms of discipline. The girl or girls should be part of the boys bedtime routine, perhaps selecting his pyjamas, buttoning up his pyjama jacket for him or helping him into his pyjama bottoms then helping  mummy to tuck him into bed. Having a twelve year old sister drawing the bedroom curtains on a sunny summer evening at 6 p.m as her older brother is put to bed is a good way to involve younger siblings in his education as a well disciplined male.

Happy to discuss.

Agnes Throgmorton

As always Agnes your methods are exemplary and should be followed to the letter by any female wishing to pyjama discipline a misbehaving boy. 

I think pyjamas and early bedtimes are an ideal method of controlling unruly boys of all ages. I would recommend having their pyjamas warming for when they arrived home from school. As you advise, they should be very infantile in appearance and made from quality winceyette to keep them cosy and make them feel babyish. Dressing them in their pyjamas downstairs irrespective of who was there is an excellent suggestion. They could spend the rest of the time before bedtime in their pyjamas doing homework or chores. I also would advocate a bedtime spanking before bedtime. Finally I would ensure early bedtimes apply at weekends and during holidays so that boys become accustomed to their early beddy-byes.  

Matron

3 comments:

  1. Agree completely Just the way to bring up boys with younger sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shouldn't they help some with bath time also, & I think he should be put into a diaper for night time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother-in-law is the one who told my wife, her daughter my attitude, behavior should not be happening, little boys maybe, but not an adult. Finally I was faced with either ending the marriage or taken my wife punishment. I took the punishment, not knowing what it was. Saturday morning, told not to bother getting dress, stay in my pajamas, at breakfast she told me of my punishment. I said nothing, she said my little boy behavior will be addressed as a little boy. After breakfast taken to the bedroom, took off my pajamas, she scolded me like a child and then over her lap. I never knew a spanking could hurt so much, I was a total mess, and once done, put on my pajamas and taken to the front room. I stood facing the wall, she pulled down the bottoms and displayed a very red, spanked bottom. She called her mother, told her of the spanking, and when she hung up, said she would be here shortly, had a errand to run. Her mother approved of the spanking, gave her daughter a bag and told her to take her naughty little boy to the bedroom. When we came back from the bedroom I was wearing little boy jammies, cowboys and indians on them. I faced the wall, bottoms pulled down, while the two talked. My wife then told her mother, early bedtime for this naughty little boy, and she agreed. Sure enough I went to bed early. This is the norm now, spankings, early bedtime, little boy jammies. My mother-in-law has witness spankings, visiting when it is my early bedtime.

    ReplyDelete